All entries will be judged by Latin teachers and professors who have training in Latin composition and/or oral Latin, using the following categories: grammatical and syntactical accuracy, choice of vocabulary, adventurousness, quality of work, and audience appeal.
We encourage the students to write several drafts of their story. You may have students peer edit (preferred) BUT a teacher may NOT edit the work. Please remember this is a contest for the students and we want them to improve their Latin. We encourage the editors to not just give the students answers but allow them the chance to discover the correct answers for themselves
Awards are based upon the national average for the year's entries.
- Summa cum laude certificate awarded to top scorers
- Maxima cum laude certificate to second-place winners
- Magna cum laude certificate to third-place winners
- Cum laude certificate to fourth-place winners
- The pieces and names of winners of Summa Cum laude will be published in PRIMA, the publication of the Excellence Through Classics Committee.